To install the Canopy Kids app on your child’s Android device, please follow these steps:
- You’ll need to install Canopy Kids on the device you want to protect with Canopy, so make sure you have your child’s Android device handy.
- On your child’s device, open a web browser and navigate to canopy.us/install.
- Scroll down and press Download.
- When prompted, press OK and then Open the “Canopy.apk” file. This file will also appear in your device’s downloads folder.
- To install Canopy, you must allow your phone to install apps from Unknown Sources. On devices running Android 8 and above, press Settings and turn on Allow from This Source for the browser you are using. On devices running Android 7 or less, open your device’s Settings app, go to Security or Lock screen and security and turn on Unknown Sources.
- Press the back arrow to return to the previous screen, then press Install.
- After the installation is complete, Open Canopy.
- Press I have an account. If you don’t already have a Canopy account, please create one now.
- Log In with your email and password.
- Select the profile of the child who will be using this device.
- Press Continue with installation.
- Press Accept to indicate that you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions.
- Press Continue. Activate Canopy in your Accessibility Settings Menu by pressing the Canopy button and turning the switch to On. You may need to scroll down or enter Installed services to find the Canopy button.
- Return to your browser and press Next to approve automatic installation. Install the Security Certificate and if prompted, set a Secure Screen Lock. Android requires a Screen Lock to install the Security Certificate. If you haven’t already set a screen lock, you will be asked to set one. We recommend setting a PIN code.
- On the next screen, you will be asked to enable the Removal Prevention. The Removal Prevention feature stops attempts to remove or disable Canopy without your permission. Press OK to enable the Removal Prevention or press No thanks to continue without it.
- You will receive a series of access requests. Please Allow them so Canopy can effectively protect your child.
- Press Open App to open Canopy.
- Congratulations! Canopy Kids is set up successfully. Canopy will now appear on your list of installed apps.
Once Canopy is installed, a key icon will appear on your device’s status bar (on most Android devices). This indicates that the filter is active.